Tuesday 15 November 2011

Audience Types and Deconstruction of a music video

There are many different types of audience so I had to look at my research carefully to come to an appropriate conclusion. By choosing 17 - 22 year olds of both genders it widens the market for Gabrielle Aplin (the artist I have chosen). However, there is one other aspect that I must consider and that is whether my audience will have an active mind when watching the music video - meaning they will be engaged in the video and want to work out exactly what is happening - or will they have a passive mind, meaning will they just sit back and watch the video and absorb the video how it is. I want my audience to engage in the music video so I am preferably looking for an audience with an active mind. A music video that does use this state of mind is Ed Sheeran - Lego House;

CLICK HERE to view Ed Sheeran - Lego House music video

At first the audience recognises the main character in the video as Rupert Grint. You begin to notice in the video that he's playing Ed Sheeran because of their similar looks. While watching the video at first you will have a passive mind as it just looks like Rupert Grint miming to the song dressed as Ed. However, as the video progresses you see that not only is Rupert an impersonator but he's obsessed with Ed Sheeran and is trying to live the same life as him; in other words he's in love. But you really have to watch the video and get involved with the situation as it just drastically changes. For someone that has a passive mind they would just take the video as it is and not understand the true meaning behind the song and the video. There are some shots in the video that help the audience to work out the enigma. For example, when Rupert Grint is holding a picture frame you wonder what it's of. Then later on in the video a panning shot shows you slowly of who the picture is of. It gives a more dramatic effect.

I want my music video to have the same effect on the audience as Ed Sheeran's did. I want them to realise the meaning and mystery behind the song. To find out whether my audience had an active or passive mind I created another short questionnaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment