Friday 1 July 2011

Preparation for the first presentation.

I have chosen an artefact that proves to be very popular in all aspects of the media. I have chosen Topshop. Although at first glance you would wonder my reasoning for choosing a fashion retail store, but it is infact included amongst various media texts.

I need to prepare a presentation to my class about why Topshop is so big and how the media presents that. I reguarly order clothing off the website and I usually get their own magazine called '214'. I will discuss that in more detail further on.

Topshop aims at a wide variety of people. "Our target market is 15 to 30 year old women, but internally we target everyone who loves fashion, regardless of age or income". This quote from a Topshop representative shows just how open and determined Topshop are to be a friend to their fanbase. As I said earlier, they have a new magazine (to target people who don't use internet), they have a widely known website, an international retail store, an iPhone app and also a blog that has updates of recent fashion statements and artists' work. Having all of these media texts creates a fanbase for Topshop from every angle. They are able to target anyone who loves fashion in their favourite ways. Later on I will do some research and ask a few people what they think of these texts.

This all links in with audience theory and the two step flow concept. It's all about people going instore or online and they see how incredible everything is and they will tell friends or family about it. This creates a domino effect. I will look further into this when I discuss to everyone about how and why Topshop used the two step flow concept and how it became so successful.

In separate posts I am going to include how Topshop uses borrowed interest, their intertextuality and how they advertise to their target market about the different ways of getting the knowledge of their clothing. Topshop has used all of these in the three media texts that I will be discussing. The website, the online blog and/or the iPhone app and the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment